Any Maryland-based, African American & Diaspora-founded organization, individuals, or group of volunteers that has demonstrated commitment and dedication to Maryland through significant and direct volunteer service can be nominated. The nominee’s volunteer service must occur in Maryland and must be for the direct benefit of Maryland citizens and/or the environment.
- The volunteer service must not be provided for the sole benefit of a for-profit business.
- Activities relating to political advocacy do not qualify for this award.
- Self nominations by the organization or group, or nomination of family members/spouses will not be accepted.
- No more than three nominations will be accepted from any individual nominator.
- If a nominator submits multiple submissions for the same organization or group, only the most complete and/or most recent nomination will be accepted.
- Past recipients of the Black History Month Community Leaders Awards/Leadership & Service Awards are not eligible to receive an award again.